Sunday, April 19, 2015

What I Have Learned....




When I think of hope, I think of young children and families overcoming adversities, and day to day challenges, in relation to prejudice, and bias in our diverse and ever-changing world. With faith comes the hope that children will learn tolerance, acceptance, awareness, love, and compassion, with the help of the adults in their lives.

One goal I have for the early childhood field, is to not just have a day or a semester course on diversity and bias, but to provide an anti-biased curriculum that is ongoing, and happens daily. This will children build their own self-identities, and the ability to accept differences, rather than to fear them.

I would like to thank my colleagues for a great semester, full of rich resources, positive responses, and for sharing past experiences, whether they were painful or positive experiences.

 Dr. Klein , I would like to say thank you, for providing us with a course that helped me look back on my own self-identity, being able to reflect on my painful experiences, with biases and prejudice, and the tools to look onward, in building my skills and an educator, who will one day become a professional, at developing an anti-biased curriculum in the future.

Good luck to you all, and I hope to see you, in the next couple of courses towards the end our Master degree journey!
 
Always a friend and supporter,
Cynthia Wright
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Cynthia,
    It is evident through your hope, faith, and goals for the field of early childhood that you are passionate about working with children and creating environments that support the building of children’s positive self esteem. It is inspiring to work with such dedicated individuals such as yourself.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia,
    Thank you for your honesty, for sharing your experiences, and for being a positive agent of change. I'm sure you will continue to be a blessing to the children and families you work with for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Cynthia,

    Anti-Bias Curriculum is a stepping stone for healthy development. At an early age, children should identify who they as a person and their abilities. I believe this type of curriculum would prevent the act of bullying in schools so children can receive a better understanding for social acceptance.

    Tanya Terrell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia, I agree with you that we need to avoid tourist curriculum where we focus on a specific group for only a day, week or month. When it comes to anti-bias curriculum, we need to incorporate diversity every day. This way we do not make the error of pointing out something different but instead work it seamlessly into daily instruction.

    ReplyDelete