Saturday, February 7, 2015

Non Violent Communication and Conflict Management



I am usually an individual that will avoid conflict at all possible. However, I am a human being that has opinions, feelings, and suggestions. I recently had a small conflict with a colleague, who felt as though a child within our class should receive behavior management at the age of one. She also discussed mentioning to the family, how aggressive the child can be.

There are two problems with this situation, the first; my colleague has been there less than three months, and secondly, the child’s behavior is typical at this age. I have worked with this child’s family for over five years, with their other children, and I also know that there are steps that have to be taken when “confronting”, or communicating with this particular child and family.

During a team meeting, I refrained myself from lashing out, and communicating inappropriately, instead I practiced my active listening skills, respected everyone’s’ opinions and suggestions by waiting patiently for everyone to have a turn to speak.

When I had a time to speak, I suggested giving this child a little more time before we jump to conclusions about suggesting the child has “aggressive behavior”, I felt as if we should continue classroom observations, and practice age appropriate strategies, that will facilitate this child’s engagement with the materials in the classroom, this in turn may refrain from hitting, or biting, and allow the child the opportunity to explore her environment in a positive way.

The end result was a mutual decision to follow my suggestions, as well as my colleague’s suggestion of giving the family the heads up, of areas in which we may see concern.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Cynthia,
    That happens a lot about how the teachers see children’s behavior differently. I like how you suggest to continue to use observation and appropriate guidance to support the child before saying the child needs more support. It’s always hard to listen to other opinion that is different than our perspective, I am glad that you are able to listen to your co-worker’s perspective, respect and giving your perspective in a respectful way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cynthia,
    I most definitely agree with you in suggesting to give the child more time before jumping to conclusions mainly since the child is only one years of age, and I love the idea of practicing your active listening skills and being able to resolve the issue by having a mutual agreement which is a great strategy in conflict management. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cynthia,
    Sometimes it's difficult for us to see another person's perspective. I applaud you for actively listening and respecting your colleagues’ opinions and suggestions. I also agree with giving the child more time to adjust to her environment. I thought that was great how you and your colleagues came to a mutual decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia,
    I worked with small children everyday between the ages of 3-4 and we have a lot of behavioral problems with children, we can only monitor our children and make sure know one gets hurt, but we also contact Mental Health to do an observation on our children and its up to them if they need more testing. It's not our judgment it's Mental Health.

    ReplyDelete