Sunday, November 16, 2014

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions




This week’s assignment focused on forms of microagression, and examples of a couple I have witnessed personally, or learned about.
I have a really good friend and co-worker born Guatemala; she is fluent in English and Spanish and was raised in the U.S. Her parents still adopt their native language, although they too are fluent in English.
While at the grocery store one day, she stood inline on talking on the phone with a relative that resides in her native country, in their native language. As she placed her grocery on the conveyer belt, a man behind her taps her on the shoulders and asked was it hard for her to get her green card to come to the U.S.
The next example of microagression was an instance of gender stereotyping between to co-workers, one male who was an early educator, and a woman who was also an educator. The woman often made indirect comments about the male educator’s sexuality; she assumed he was a gay individual because he enjoyed working with young children. She also made reference to pedophilias’ enjoyment with working with young children.
These two examples of microagression not only was offensive to the individuals involved, but also to myself haven witnessed such display of micoinsults, as well as microinvalidations, indirectly assaulting one’s race, orientation, and integrity.
During this observation processed my understanding of microagressive behaviors have broadened. Although individuals may not be fully aware of how their verbal/nonverbal forms of communication affect others, even the subtle comments can come across to others that are in aim, to be offensive, and insulting, and hurtful. 



8 comments:

  1. Nice Post Cynthia. Your provided some great examples about microaggression. People often determine others' nationality by their physical appearance such as skin color or language. However, cultural is more more deep than that, we cannot use the stereotypes that the society created to assume a person's culture. On the other hand, it is easy to assume someone's culture unconsciously because the media is educating these stereotype in our daily life. As educators, we may not able to control the media, but we could educate our children to be aware of the ways we react to differences- verbally and non-verbally. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia, with the example that you used with the friend on her phone, I think that the man was really out of line and that is definitely an great example of a hidden message. However, sometimes people get offended when others speak their native language. We can't speak or understand it so it makes think people think that they are being talked about. I know because I feel similar every time I go get my nails done and the people speak their native language WHILE doing my nails. It is very uncomfortable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia,

    I am absolutely shocked at the lack of professionalism and respect that some individuals continue to display. Your experience with the educator and her comments reaffirms our role in bringing attention to these microaggressions in order to open discussions and encourage self-reflection from our colleagues. It is a difficult task that I believe can be done if we have worked previously to create professional relationships built on trust and support. Thank you for sharing your experiences this week as they have helped me in my growth and understanding of this topic as well.

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cynthia,
    Thank you for sharing these excellent examples of microaggressions with us. In the first scenario with the woman on the phone, I wonder if the man thought she would not understand him? That's the only way that I can see how a person could say something like that to another person.
    In the second scenario I wonder if the male teacher was aware of what this person was saying about him. If so, I wonder how it affected him and what he did about it. I can't imagine remaining quiet if someone was accusing me of being a pedophile. I would raise quite a ruckus as a matter of fact, and I hope that is what he did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cynthia, thank you for sharing these examples of microaggression. What would even possess that man at the grocery store to even ask that question? He probably thought his question was fine, but what he didn't realize was how offensive it was.
    With regards to your second example, did this educator know that she was being inappropriate by making assumptions about this person based on stereotypes of one's sexual orientation? Her comments probably made him feel inferior and uncomfortable. According to Dr. Sue, many people think that what they said wasn't offensive. Did she show any remorse?

    Thank you for sharing!
    Take care,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cynthia,
    Both of these examples are extremely rude. Both of these incidents seem like insults. In the first example, for a stranger to ask to interrupt your phone call to ask you a question like that seems bazaar to me. It is not something that you ask a stranger. This man was stereotyping your friend because she was speaking a different language. We live in a country filled with people from all walks of life. Does this man really think that all dual language speakers living in the U.S. and not U.S. citizens?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cynthia,
    Great scenarios, the example of the man asking you a question and didn't know you was very strange, to ask did you get your green card. I would have turn to him and answer him in another language that he couldn't understand. I hate going into Chinese and Japanese stores because they never want to talk their language until someone like me comes into the store, I get the impression they talking about me, would you feel like that also ,Cynthia?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,

    I enjoyed your examples of microaggressions. The man in the store was clearly out of line. First, it was none of his business and second he was rude. Why couldn't he make the assumption that she was born here. Some microaggressions are intentional and some are not intentional. Some people may not even realize what they are doing. I realize this because this week's lesson has taught me a lot about myself. I have been evaluating myself and I have noticed that I give more thought to what I say before speaking. I am guilty of unintentional microaggressions, but I am working on making myself better. We have to learn to eliminate bias, prejudice, assumptions, and judgments.

    ReplyDelete