Thursday, August 21, 2014

What I learned Internationally about the Childhood Field.





As we have come to the end of our course, I have gained so much information and resources about the EC field over all. Most importantly, I was challenged to step out of my comfort zone of learning specifically about EC in my county, to expand my learning internationally. Three things I have learned about Child development internationally are:


  • The importance of maintaining and preserving ones’ home language, when entering another country.
  • The United States recognizes the importance of early education, while many other countries are still in the development process.
  • How health and nutrition can have a huge impact on a child’s development, and ability to learn.

Through this course I have also learned how to be a leader, and an advocate for all children, and resources on how to design my classroom environment to facilitate the unique differences that each child and family member may bring.



“The idea of belonging and membership, being part of a community, is a basic human need. It’s one of the principles of our democratic society. We all have the same needs, we want to be loved, we want to have friends, we want to feel that we are making a contribution in our families, in our communities…we learn about understanding what someone’s interests and point of view are by interacting with them. To include everyone is to open up those possibilities for learning and appreciating our humanity.”








4 comments:

  1. Cynthia,
    It’s nice to have you in the class! I agree that we need to preserve other’s home language and their cultures, as it is their root. I am glad you were able to learn the difference perspective on early childhood education between United States and other countries. I like the quote you picked! Good luck in your future classes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia, as the semester closes it is nice to review the issues that you have learned. Through my time at Walden I have definitely figured out the importance of allowing a child to use the home language within the classroom. We should always make them aware that their home language is very important to us. As well, the educational factor is very important. In my search this semester I found that in Belgium it is not required for children to go to school, but it is encouraged. I do not like this at all. I do not think it should be optional, but in different countries they do things different ways. We can only hope for change one day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your post and learning from your professional point of view. It is so amazing to know how children learn and about the education they receive that can enhance their growth and development. Also, I agree as an educator it is important to help children who are English Language Learner not to forget their home language by implement with the classroom. We can use things such as books, music, multi-cultural dolls/clothing and language to help children continue to speak in their home language. Another thing I agree with your learning as well as my own was learning about the affect poverty has on children’s health and learning abilities. I enjoyed the quote by Dr. Joseph Petner, Educator as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cynthia,
    AWESOME quote by Dr. Joseph Petner. I enjoyed being in class with you and learned so much from your post and discussions. Language is truly going to be a challenge for many of us and I just hope that we place ourselves as students and learn, so that we can be informed educators. We have to always remember that families are their the experts of their family.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete